Saturday, April 21, 2007

Beginner

Today was my first beginner class at puppy school. Mama was busy so papa took me there by himself and I was pretty worried whether or not he could handle me. It turned out good though and papa was able to make it through the lesson with help from the teachers. I learned a few things but it will take more practice before I can master many of the commands. I mean, who cares if I can sit, stand and lie down...I can decide by myself when I want to do those things!!! Apparently, humans are control freaks and like to make me do things even if I don't want to. Anyhow, I do it even if I don't want to because it makes them happy and I usually get a treat out of the deal :-)

Papa looked pretty tired all week. It was his first full week in the office at his new job so he had a lot of meetings and things to do.

Last night, mama went to visit her father so papa and I watched a movie called Infernal Affairs. It was the original Hong Kong movie that The Departed is based on. Infernal Affairs was much better than The Departed. The acting was far superior and the characters were much cooler and "otoko-rashii" than the Hollywood version. Hollywood always dumbs down the story and tries to explain every little detail as if viewers are idiots whereas the Hong Kong version is more realistic and allows the audience to fill in the blanks. Perhaps that's just a reflection of Americans and how they view themselves...And of course, The Departed has the Hollywood pseudo-happy ending where the bad guy dies (I don't think this is a spoiler because Hollywood is way too predictable to ever expect anything else). Infernal Affairs has a far better ending which I will leave to readers to see for themselves...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Roots,

Did you think all bad guy died in the Departed? Some people said Mark Wahlberg was actually the 3rd rat!

I think even Japanese like happy ending movie. Why do you think so many people watch "Mitokohmon"?! fufufu

Anonymous said...

Hi Roots,
My Mom says you're bad because your Dad's nephews are American and they were truly offended by your review of the Hollywood version of the movie.

Miss you,
Picasso :-)
California